adbright

Friday, February 4, 2022

glib author makes a retraction on global warming

 glib author makes a retraction on global warming

fiction

edward w pritchard

Glib author makes a retraction on global warming.  Forgive me for making light on the subject of global warming as author suggests in the previous writing on " the little ice age" by Brian Fagan.

Upon further reading in Fagan's book in chapter 6 " the specter of hunger" I find that Fagan had more than scientific curiousity on the issue of starvation among humans living in times pre- three meals a day eating habits among modern Americans. 

Fagan states he spent time observing subsistence agriculture in modern Africa. Where he learned to appreciate "... how devastating  a cycle of drought or heavy rainfall or unusual cold or warmth can be. "[ among people dependent on subsistent farming [ or hunting] my paraphrasing.

How often do I preach to my grand kids who are vegans in a wealthy household not to waste food. 

My credentials to preach was dictated in my childhood. For a variety of family specific issues our family had once meal per day of prepared food from our parents. The one meal consisted of one large pot of spaghetti, Spanish rice with hamburger, or Mac and cheese. You could eat all you wanted but that was it for the day. There was little other food in the refrigerator or shelves. Eat it or fend for yourself regardless of your age or situation. 

Later as a boy scout I recall when we camped in tents at a Klondike derby event when it was ten below zero.  Because of extreme weather there was not enough brought food to fortify us boys after pulling a Alaskan  style dog sled sans dogs for ten or so hours in the cold, After a couple days of starvation we broke the rules and  convinced an older eagle scout to drive to a store and buy us $20. of junk food [ in 1964 dollars]. 

Hiking fifteen years ago on the Appalachian trail was the other time I didn't get enough food to keep me going when I was sleeping each night on the trail platform open air shelters and preparing what food i had in my back pack over a small camp fire. Tired and hungry one develops a calorie deficit. Eventually I took to sleeping in the car after driving to the nearest town for a restaurant meal. Later  along with the restaurant I took to sleeping in a cheap hotel after my ten to fifteen mile walk through the woods. It's difficult to be hungry and cold no matter the reason. 

For those who will proceed me please take global warming seriously. I believe we have a bit of folk knowledge of our ancestors cold hungry and starving.    

No comments:

Post a Comment