adbright

Thursday, May 20, 2010

buy it, sell it, keep it, treasure it

buy it, sell it, keep it, treasure it

fiction
edward w pritchard

Millie accumulated enough things that after her death the three of us spent seven complete weekends hauling things to the goodwill and the trash; and that's after all the sought after items were moved to new locations.

All I wanted was the green chest of drawers that Grandma Myers had got from her Father's side of the family. My brother and I haven't spoken to each other because his wife and I both want that fine piece of furniture. My Mother isn't helping because she feels my brother should get chest of drawers because he is older.

How does that make sense? My Brother is older than me, true. But, Aunt Millie is dead now and when Grandma Myers gave her the chest of drawers originally my brother and I were both not born yet. Grandma Myer's father's side of the family got that chest of drawers a long time ago, before anyone thought of my brother or me.

The fact that my brother is four years older than me, or his wife is a scheming bitch who wants everything shouldn't have anything to do with who gets the green chest of drawers in my way of thinking. I want it because it will look good in the screened in porch and we can keep pictures and old family albums in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment