adbright

Sunday, May 13, 2012

the end of the relationship

the end of the relationship

fiction
edward w pritchard

Stumbling half awake about a large house, like an aged actor on too small a stage, but contented, ingrained in habit, sunken in love one day after ample warning she dumped me.

Was it a dream. Was there no such place as our life together. For me it was the only solid ground I knew. An island in the choppy seas.

Her ship vanished over the sunken horizon to be invaded by water thieves, pirates boarded her vessel. In solitude after the initial shock and pain, me disconnected from reality escaped into phantom memories of an imaginary and magical past together with her. Concern about money, jobs and friends vanished for me. Existence being mere escapism. My mind tossed on the waves and I retreated deep deep into our early life together.

Slowly, slowly I confronted the truth of her feelings. I avoided the harbour less another ship returning from sea to port would bring news of the world and her name would be linked and connected to stealthful liaisons.

From a dream I awoke after 2095 days give or take a few hours. Sadly, I saw reality as it was and surveyed my pathetic state. Turning from the fickle churning ocean I set off alone south toward the cloud covered Mountains of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment