adbright

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

life in space/squatters on mars/part 7/draft 1

life in space squatters on Mars/part 7

fiction
edward w pritchard

I feel I have to be the practical one here, to keep things real. This writer who created me and put me here on Mars is an impractical dreamer; a Lake of souls reuniting across the universe type of guy.

 I am Bosco. I am placed here on Mars by that writer, trying to dodge incoming meteors, and stay interested in my wife Daria; Daria who is beginning to lean forward at the waist because her muscles are not adjusting to Martian gravity in a "normal" way. Daria and I can't talk either. That writer was right about one thing, language does not function in a normal way on Mars. Don't ask me why I am not a linguist, I am just a Serbian squatter named Bosco about to cut some corners and break a lot of laws and by pass the tax codes to make a living as a miner of rare minerals coaxed from meteors bounced off our red sod hut. The asteroids originated  a few billion years ago from beyond Jupiter. I have to stay focused, these magnets we use to attract  the asteroids work too well; very easily one of the streaking asteroids could cut me in two. I would still owe the taxes and fees if it did to the IRS. That's the life of an asteroid miner.

No comments:

Post a Comment