adbright

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Chicago in mind by albert ammonds

Chicago in mind by albert ammonds

fiction
edward w pritchard

After I bought my railroad tickets at 2am to Chicago at the train station in Cleveland behind the football stadium I had $15 left for the remainder of the trip. Mostly I looked out the windows into the backs of the buildings and homes across the Midwest until we arrived in Chicago. I didn't talk to anyone on the train.

Arriving in Chicago about 9am I went to a small unpretentious diner about a mile from the train depot and had a good breakfast of eggs and beans and I said a few compliments to the  Mexican cook who was also my waitress. I gave the Mexican guy a five dollar tip as I paid my $7.55 food bill. His cooking was that good but since I only had $2.45 left I went back to the train station and hung around there until the 9pm train to Cleveland pulled in to take me home.

I enjoyed the scenery on the trip home but I didn't get to talk to anyone much on the train. When we crossed the border into Ohio I tried to hum a few bars from "Chicago in Mind" by Albert Ammonds to keep myself company. Soon though I had to stop for that is a difficult tune to hum to and to remember.

Sometimes I like to go over to Chicago for a change of scenery. But you know how it is,"wherever you go there you are ", and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment