adbright

Friday, May 10, 2019

it's sad to wise up

it's sad to wise up

fiction
edward w pritchard

Fifty years ago I spent a few months immersed in Carl Jung's writings. Each night after I finished the night audit at the hotel where I worked I would spend a few hours enjoying and educating myself reading Jung on archetypes and especially synchronicity.

Last week I bought another copy of the "The Portable Jung" edited by Joseph Campbell and today I spent a few hours rereading chapter 14 "on synchronicity". I was very disappointed by Jung's research and lack of proper statistics and of proper regard for the scientific method in presenting his evidence for  synchronicity," the idea that there is a sort of fore knowledge of the coming series of events". 

Sometimes it's sad to wise up. To this day I have never experienced anything supernatural  or witnessed anyone who can predict and name five cards in a row from a properly shuffled deck dealt by an impartial dealer.

We so all want to believe in miracles. David Hume in "On miracles" provides the best case against Miracles.

Ultimately the old Indian rope trick is always just a well planned out scam.

No comments:

Post a Comment