adbright

Monday, February 15, 2021

back in Carolina

 back in Carolina


fiction
edward w pritchard

someone mention North Carolina to me today:

Sometimes when it's so still and silent here where I temporarily abide I glance up at the bluest sky and find myself back in ancient Carolina.

The children are young again as I walk about and I can always hear their voices playing happily safe in the next room. The little woman just finished cleaning the kitchen and is about to begin playing Beethoven on her piano. She is happily singing but I can't hear her original voice. 

I am outside walking in the distant past along the barrier Islands walking in sanctuary along the ocean with the original native Americans who walked so far to settle our country. Walking quietly through the grave  yards I count the fallen soldiers from North Carolina; where more Confederate soldiers died fighting in our civil War than from any other State in the Confederacy. Black soldiers in North Carolina died fighting for the Union North. All of the dead of North Carolina are deathly silent as I walk through  time about their State.

The Cherokee are hiding in the mountains of the woods. John Ross their leader is leading the people  one last prayer before they have to be removed from their earthly paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment