adbright

Friday, July 16, 2010

sign creator

sign creator

fiction
edward w pritchard

Me, Doc

I have always been a bit of a snob, always thinking myself better than others, not part of the common herd. Having had over twenty jobs as an adult, that's a lot I guess, my snobbish activity in the workplace supplied me with varied experiences which I am now trying to use to earn my living.

When I found myself down and out in this recession I refused to stand at the side of the expressway exits, and panhandle; holding a sign containing my hard luck story, while I solicited donations; as others were doing in my hometown.

Being creative, as well as snobbish, I choose to write the signs for the rank and file roadside beggars. I charged twenty dollars for the verses I wrote and in addition twenty five per cent of the first days take. Strictly the honor system, for I even refuse to stand at the side of the road to verify my twenty five per cent commission.

Perhaps my finest sign, the one that brought in $425 in the first week in use was:

Envious miscreant, unable to achieve equanamity, caused by brain chemistry, it's said.
Please share your affluence, while I seek personal growth. You can't find it by seeking, but only seeking will take you there.-- Blessings to us all.

So you see Doc, what's this brain chemistry all about

end

No comments:

Post a Comment