adbright

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

new job

new job

fiction
edward w pritchard

It's about the worse job a college graduate could do. I just got it out of college and my Mother cried when I told her, Dad, said, glad to have me start paying back my loans; that it was a start.

I am with the damnatio memoriae unit here in Pittsburgh. It is not a government agency, but private sector, contracted from the department of aging. When a citizen is disgraced because of treason, usually failure to pay debts, our group confiscates property and destroys all records of that individual. Name, records, images,[in the case of the wealthy], and we insure that perpetuity forgets this criminal. Of course if the individual is still alive after the sentence we dispatch them.

Today we went to an old man's house. He met us politely at the door and four of us quickly went through his possessions and after about an hour the only thing left to do to remove the physical evidence of his ever had existed was documents and public records which will be gone tomorrow; for I have been approved overtime to finish erasing his memory on line tonight. Since I am the only young woman on our team, the guys I work with didn't want me around when they dispatched the old guy. That's how I got to leave early and was assigned the on line project for overtime.

We are all going to meet for a beer later tonight. It's not all that bad of a job really.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment