adbright

Saturday, November 5, 2016

A view from the fertile crescent circa 2000 BC on the 2016 American presidential election

A view from the fertile crescent 2000 BC on the 2016 American presidential election

fiction
edward w pritchard

How could someone not vote for either a Republican or Democrat for US President in 2016?

Me I am just trying to survive the last few years of my existence without being a raving fan of Politics and issues and opinions I have no control over. I seek to bloom where I am planted. I don't waive the flag nor do I burn it. I have seen a lot and understand a few things. I don't follow a self proclaimed enchanting leader.

Here's one of those this means that type little stories about the view from a ziggurat in ancient UR, in Mesopotamia  circa 2000 BC that contains a kernel of wisdom of what I think is one's place in contemporary American society.


surveying things from above eye level

surveying things from above eye level

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

The soldiers marched us a long way and didn't explain why we were selected and no one knew where we were going. I knew about soldiers. For some reason I wasn't fearful about being selected by the soldiers. I figured if the soldiers meant us harm we would know immediately by how they treated us. It seemed to me that we were selected more or less at random and the soldiers were following orders and taking us some where for someone important. Since we were marching toward Ur I figured it might concern the King's business because the soldiers were obviously an elite unit and well financed in their mission.

I had never surveyed things from above eye level. It is very flat in the village I lived my entire live in

The soldiers did not follow us up onto the Ziggurat. It is not permitted. Why myself and a few other common farmers and labors are permitted on the Ziggurat with the Priest's has not been explained to us. Like most of the others I have decided to make the best of my situation. We are well fed, the Priests are gracious and polite and the women that carry the food for us to eat are beautiful. I am a simple man; soon I know there will be a bill I must pay for being on the Ziggurat. Why worry now. We are guests of the Priest's but we are not allowed to leave.

The soldiers who brought us here wait below. Sometimes I watch them from one of the lower terraces for clues to my fate. They just act like typical soldiers, fighting and gambling in their time off, flirting with the girls bringing us the food when the officers aren't watching, and sleeping when not on duty.

It's odd to see the flat countryside from two hundred feet above. I have many strange dreams because of the different way of seeing things.

One of the other farmers who came here to be a guests of these Priests believes that a storm is coming in a day or two. He knows about weather from being a farmer. He thinks the Priest's want us to be on the top of the Ziggarat when a lightening storm strikes for a scientific experiment.

No matter the weather to me. I will just enjoy my good fortune. I am well fed by the Priests, I walk around and survey the world from two hundred feet above, I am protected by soldiers at government expense, beautiful girl's carry my food to me and I do not have to tip them.

Let the Devil worry about tomorrow's weather and lightening strikes, today I enjoy my life. I will try to bloom where I am planted

No comments:

Post a Comment