adbright

Friday, December 21, 2018

it's a very good story

it's a very good story

fiction
edward w pritchard


Christmas is hard for me here in my old age. One thing that brings me a little comfort this time of year is to listen to the entire story of Jesus not just the praise songs of his exalted birth in a stable a long time ago. Seldom do I read the Bible though I do lots and lots of reading about Roman history from the fifth century BC forward.

Last night I got one of my art books and carefully studied the pictures of Jesus' entire life in the paintings of the master of Sienna Duccio.

It's a very good story the record of Jesus' life. Duccio the Italian painter could be a difficult and rebellious man. The business people of Sienna went to great lengths contractually to tie him to the project they wanted him to do back in 1308. Duccio di  Buoninsegna's work is called the Maesta, the Master piece and was displayed first, his finished project of the complete life of Jesus in pictures, to the public on June 09, 1311. The day was declared a holiday and the entire town followed the finished sacred work to the Church.

I saw parts of Duccio altarpiece once in a church in Sienna, Italy. The pictures are worth taking our time to study and meditate on.

The history of Jesus' life,  it's a very good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment