adbright

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

for our Russian readers

for our Russian readers

fiction
edward w pritchard

For our Russian readers our tale here about how we camped out in a tent in ten below zero for two days won't impress them much. However, when I tell my two youngest grand children the story of my two days outside in ten below zero as a boy they will be impressed. I did the winter camping when I was twelve and a boy scout and it was tough going as we built a sled from small logs and sticks and then hauled our gear into the woods in January and spent two entire days and nights outside in a cold spell camping and cooking our meals around a small fire. I remember it was very cold but we survived.

On day two one of the older scouts hiked to his car and went into town and brought us about five candy bars each. An infraction of the rules of Klondike derby that was overlooked because of the dangerous windchill.

We have it in us to survive the elements. Our ancestors did it and I hope my grand children will try to test themselves surviving in the cold and wilderness one day as well. It will help them to appreciate a warm house in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment