adbright

Thursday, November 7, 2019

praise service

praise service

fiction
edward w pritchard

Once I found myself solemnly sitting in a serene Catholic church attending a funeral of a child who had passed away. Although I am not a Catholic to me there is no more sacred place on earth created by the hand of Men than a Catholic church.

Yet upon reflection I am often at odds with many of the philosophies of the Catholic religion although thinking for myself as a historian I appreciate and admire the Catholic religion on balance. If I may be judged on the matter let me be guilty of the heresy of Americanism for I spent my life submerged in the American culture.

Recently I did some reading on two of the Catholic saints Polycarp and Irenaeus both instrumental in the development of the new testament of the bible and forging a logical philosophy of the Catholic church. At a time of historical struggle for Western thought both men diligently and competently worked to create a synthesized Catholic religion. The primary goal of both men was keeping  the authentic christian message and to identify heresy.

Would that someone could do the same with science and political thought here in America today    two areas where many odd theories abound.

No comments:

Post a Comment