adbright

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Look; my enemies have gotten very tall and fair of face

Look; my enemies have gotten very tall and fair of face

fiction
Edward w Pritchard


It sticks in my ears when a guest or CEO on CNBC answers an obvious question first by starting with the ubiquitous " LOOK" as in General Custer telling the troops at his last stand " LOOK, they are just Indians".

Lots and lots of experts do it on the business channel and to me it's a sign that they are well fed, well paid by the stockholders, or as we call them on wall street bag holders, and quite snug with their station in the world. The poster child for a CEO to me who always started one of his flippant answers with " LOOK " was Vikram Pandit CEO of Citicorp back in 2008 in the housing crisis who was so nonchalant as shareholder value disappeared by the bushel as he told the troops " LOOK, how much can a few bad housing loans really matter".

The other day I was watching you tube and I saw a video of Eric Hoffer the longshoreman philosopher who was one of my heroes back in 1970 or so start a sentence in answer to newsman Eric Severide with" LOOK, as in look if a piece of writing contains one good original idea it doesn't matter how long it is." Sometimes people write volumes and volumes and don't say anything worth
remembering.

I try to write what I think is an original idea. As in Sitting Bull who lead the charge against Custer might have said " LOOK, my friends and enemies have all became the same, in fact in my old age my enemies have gotten very tall and fair of face".

No comments:

Post a Comment