adbright

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Electric Red House in the Sky

The Electric Red House in the Sky
for Jimi Hendrix
the world's best guitar player ever
For Black History Month 2010

fiction
edward w pritchard

Fourty years ago when he left us, Jimi Hendrix said " If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll see you in heaven one day." So when I went over the rainbow I looked him up and stopped for a visit.

Jimi was arguing a little when I got there, with some Hippies calling them passive and hard headed; so I just stood and listened respectfully. Apparently Jimi was in some trouble up here for being outspoken on the changes that had occurred below since he left.

He started speaking again on those earthly changes and some of the listeners got up and left so Jimi [JH] said " excuse me for taking some of your sweet time," then continued
" you can leave if you want to we just jamming".

Narrator [in heaven] Jimi were you patriotic?
JH- "We are all Americans" I was in the army you know, so I try to respect my country when I can".

Narrator- Jimi How do you respond to criticism that you are/were outspoken and had an overly direct way of speaking.
JH- "It's true I make social criticism and sometimes criticize large groups of people." But you will notice I don't "dis" individuals and try to be kind and nonjudgmental to cats around me whatever their thing might be."

Narrator- How do you think of the progress made by Black Americans since you left?
JH- Black Doctors, lawyers and Politicians are great for us and good for America. But we still have too many black young men in prison for a long time, that needs addressed. There is also a lot of strife between Black people and in Black families. We need to work together to comfort each others and to be sympathetic to those still struggling up the ladder.
Also we haven't done much for American Indians whose problems are still under the radar of most Americans. I do give accolades to President Obama for settling part of one of the reparations lawsuits. I point out that I didn't get any of those reparations up here [that's a joke], I am part Indian you know.

Narrator- what do you think of the Health care crisis in America?
JH- I didn't take good enough care of myself to be able to express an opinion on that.

Narrator- Any specific criticisms of America in 2010?
JH- Too many active Wars being aggressively pursed by Americans. I don't like mechanical drones overhead shooting at people. Murder and killing are real bad man but at least if done face to face it forces us to feel and hurt. Killing can easily be justified logically by the strong over the weak, the books are full of good reasons to kill each other. You know my music is my philosophy, but I believe we can bring peace and love to the world without violence through music. Experience teaches us that War is not the answer.

Narrator-Jimi you sound as if you are against book learning
JH- No way, I advise students to study and attend school, especially young black men. However, I think experience trumps logic and book learning in real life. Also concerning young black men in school, don't get expelled like I did by getting caught holding a white girls hand in the cafeteria.

Me, your author, tentatively- Mr. Hendrix- do you ever play up here?

General laughter follows

JH- Be cool, He's new.
I jam with Elmo James extended session for days and days. Nothing is planned or scheduled but keep your ears and your heart open and you will hear us. I'll play Electric Church Red House for you.

Narrator- any final thoughts on the scene down on earth Jimi?
JH- I saw a TV commercial with some wealthy black Americans worrying about identity theft. Far out, I guess things have come about full circle since I left.
end
JH

No comments:

Post a Comment