adbright

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blues Music

Blues

fiction
edward w pritchard

I was seventeen when I told Grandmother the music she listened to was degrading. She enjoyed the old blues music of the thirties and forties that she had listened to as a young girl. Grandma just smiled and  told me she hoped I grew up to be a Teacher, Preacher or Businessman.

My opinions were tolerated by my Father. However when Uncle Clarence realized I had hurt his Mother's feelings he looked at me that once like he was going to hit me.

Grandma said to Uncle Clarence later in front of me that she hoped Brightly, her nickname for me, would find his way in life someday.

Fifteen years later I am a businessman. Grandmother is gone now but after my Daughter died I felt so bad for so long that I started listening to some of those Blues songs for solace and comfort. I wish now I could apologize to my dear Grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment