adbright

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lotte Lenya and Friday nights

Lotte Lenya and Friday nights


see-beware a woman with [an alias] February 26th blog
fiction
edward w pritchard

Since I was a teenage boy I wanted to call Lotte Lenya the actress and singer every Friday night. Not because of the movie role in the Bond film but because of the German accent and how she sang Mack the Knife in German in the original recording for the Three Penny Opera.

She was very old before I discovered her back in the 1960's and it wasn't her as an old woman that I wanted to know but her as a young girl in Vienna, trying to break in as an actress, and just getting that breakout role.

I never made it to Vienna and by the time I made it to New York City Lotte Lenya was long gone. Alas we missed each other; still it would have been nice to know a mysterious woman with an alias, especially one who sang Mack the Knife in German or Pirate Jenny conspiratorially.

No comments:

Post a Comment