adbright

Sunday, March 11, 2012

once a soldier

once a soldier

fiction
edward w pritchard

story 3 of 11

Father was eating a baloney sandwich and had just handed me baloney and cheese when he began to talk about his best friend Homey Williams who was killed in World War two. My father was at his side when he died and he had never mentioned it to me before. The subject of Sergeant Homey's violent death was not an appropriate subject to discuss with a ten year old boy but I was very interested because my dad had never talked to me about war before and I was fascinated by combat at that time in my life.

Half way through the story I dropped the baloney and cheese sandwich and was afraid for a minute I would throw up. Father continued to calmly supply me details on the confrontation his friend Homey had with a hand grenade. Here was a side of my Father I couldn't...
to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment