adbright

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Del Shannon; gone are the days of Hollywood a go go

Del Shannon; gone are the days of Hollywood  a go go

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

Del Shannon strums at his guitar which isn't electronically connected while he lip sings "Runaway" as seven lithe female dancers strut in a circle round and round him standing on a pedestal on national TV on Hollywood a go go in 1964. It don't get any better than that. It was his moment of fame, one great song, seven ritually circling Gazzarri dancing virgins, national TV.

Poor Del Shannon born Charles Weedon Westover; December 30, 1934 – February 8, 1990 was living in a trailer flat broke in Louisiana when he took his life.

Fame thou fickle whore. How we pant and circle as we chase you round and round the circle, you strut into an unplugged guitar and lip sinc; " to end this misery, and I wonder why, why, why". [1]

Check out Del Shannon on you tube; gone are the days.

[1] "Runaway" words and music by Dale Shannon and Max Crook

Here's what I wrote before on lost fame and fortune for you Del Shannon:
it don't rhyme but you get the idea

tudo se foi
tudo se foi

fiction
edward w pritchard

Tudo se foi
was all I could say,
speaking Portuguese
the language of my youth.
When I had vitality
and riches,
stocks, tapestries and silk sheets at night.
Tudo se foi I told the magistrate
No, I couldn't pay my taxes, medical bills,
mortgage or anything really.
Tudo se foi.
I could see the magistrate wasn't listening
it didn't matter officially that he didn't understand.
I wanted him to know, for the record.
Tudo se foi, every thing is gone;
the money went with youth, my health and my looks.
For a minute the Magistrate looked down at me, from the bench and smiled
and asked me to please spell it, for the court reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment