adbright

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

disqualified late entry in Kent State University Peace and War Contest

ADBRIGHT

disqualified LATE ENTRY IN kENT sTATE uNIVERSITY pEACE AND wAR cONTEST


AUTHOR IS NOT A STUDENT- SUBMISSION NOT ELIGIBLE FOR HONORABLE MENTION

REPOST OF PREVIOUS WORK



THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2013

I the universal soldier/ draft 2

I the universal soldier/ draft 2

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

soldier-draft one/ repost, edit



Me a soldier.  More than anything I wish to die in battle or like my hero Vincent Van Gogh go crazy. No such luck, I have survived over a dozen fierce battles and engagements. Early on when our blitzkrieg was remarkably successful I would not have been surprised to be unscathed but now the war goes badly and still I thrive as a soldier. I hate what we do but I fight and do my duty not to Fatherland but to my unit. I am not of the party but I fight on although the goals not be mine.

My Father himself will not hear me when I explain the Nazi machine. He is Prussian through and through, still quoting Hegel when he doesn't have a mouthful of platitudes. His wars were brutal yes, but not unspeakable, even to a fellow soldier. I cannot speak to him of ordinary things we do and I cannot think even to myself what I have witnessed. In spite of that my mind is clear; each morning I awake and I prepare for the days actions and encounters. Military life is easy for me though I hate it and hate myself for being part of.

I am as a cog in a machine, one piece in the military system of weapons and technology. I am not permitted to not function at peak capacity. I also cannot allow myself to quit, run or injure or terminate myself. My mind will not fracture or dis-join.  My logic is clear and worse my luck is remarkable. Each day I wake and prepare dutifully for today's battles despite my conscious.

I am the universal metaphorical soldier and each day I awake, leave my tent and attack my life with military zeal although I do not understand why we are supposed to fight on anymore.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment