adbright

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Eulogy to JD Salinger

Eulogy to Salinger/tribute to fiction

fiction
edward w pritchard

Jeez already, that JD Salinger guy only wrote those stories, and just that one novel; my life story "The Catcher in the Rye." You can call me Holden, the beholden to good old JD for creating me. Ha! I created him.

You would think he had to go to those weird private schools or have perverts try to fool around with him. I know, I know JD had emotional issues, He was in the War and all. He studied that Zen Buddhism, that's a laugh. His attempts at Buddhism resulted in my story and from me he received overnight success. The coveted fame and fortune. The true sound of one hand clapping. What did he do when he got what he wanted as a writer. He only wanted to be alone,- darling. What a gas.

I am the Buddha in his story. Yes me Holden Cau... , by the way do not mention the Glass family to me. Never. Not once especially that sanctimonious Buddy or worse the deified Seymour. They never brought old JD any fame, they just depressed him, and everyone else.

Anyway my journey from a sheltered prep school to my final realization of the importance of Phoebe in my life, God you should have been there.

Old JD's dead now, I guess he finally pulled himself together and got beyond his original personality, and all that crap. Me I am kinda famous still, still banned in a few libraries; and I never did make it to that ranch in Colorado. You will have to excuse me now. I have to find Phoebe. I owe her eight dollars and sixty five cents and I better pay her back before she wants interest or something.
End

1 comment:

  1. good-bye JD I enjoyed you exquisite characterizations and use of voice

    ReplyDelete