adbright

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The View from the Back

The View from the Back

fiction
edward w pritchard

Icy Roads, and near blizzard conditions slow all traffic on 76 East out of Akron, in Northeastern Ohio in winter; except the trucks which roll along at 65 regardless of the Weather. Today however, even the trucks slowed to let the hunter green, black suede leather topped funeral ambulance race down 76 East toward Youngstown. The old springs were shockingly worn and the ambulance vehicle listed to the left and rode low to the icy road especially at the rear of the vehicle, near the swinging rear door. From the back, in my coffin I had no visibility at all.

As we rode I expanded my awareness and I briefly explored the inside of the funeral vehicle I rode in. Next I experimented with letting my perception and awareness travel vertically South and North to the horizons in a straight line from the vehicle I was temporarily traveling in. From Road surface up to a few miles above towards the heavens I instantly perceived all that was from the quantum level to the largest material or spiritual objects.

Inside the coffin it was cramped and clammy and I was relieved to remove my awareness outward to relearn the world in my new state of being. True, the bouncing vehicle annoyed me. My head far at the back, my body facing West to East. We traveled dead East across the icy Lake Milton bridge and over the frozen shallow Lake; recently lowered I recall by the army corps of engineers.

The racing trucks around us on the slick roads concerned me and I fretted for the safety of my driver, Juan I believe they called him before they sealed me in my coffin. I prayed a little for Juan's skillful maneuvering of our transport across these dangerous roads.

High up I noted a dozen ducks or geese in perfect formation. When I was near them, hoping to see which, ducks or geese, they actually were, they served and dived suddenly; apparently disturbed by my spiritual presence in their airspace. Likewise I felt a sinking feeling similar to nausea when I attempted to soar upward toward the dim sun, temporarily peaking through the clouds. Forbidden to approach, I understood, reason unknown at this time.

Weary I returned my perception and awareness to the coffin and I meditated for a moment or two, by habit to reorient myself. Refreshed I distinctly remember wishing I had fished these lakes more here at Lake Milton while I was alive; and as I drifted off I remember hoping the Army Corps of Engineers doesn't ruin the fishing from repeatedly lowering the Lake each Winter.

All in all the view from the back wasn't all that bad that snowy day racing across the icy roads of Northeast Ohio when I was taken in my coffin by funeral vehicle to be cremated later over at Youngstown, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment