adbright

Monday, November 7, 2011

The CEO, Rest and relief, Ulysses heads back to Ithaca New York

The CEO, Rest and relief, Ulysses heads back to Ithaca New York

fiction
edward w pritchard

The men are always first, but i am too tired to comply. We all need rest and respite. Exhaustion has conquered all but I am expected to lead and overcome. It's my duty, the implied agreement the men under my command give me to be the leader.

But, I am exhausted too, and when we came to the glass lined holes I slept, and I failed my men.

For ten years I have been leading my team, heading home. Home from Troy. Seas, rivers, canals and streams we have navigated. Adventures, commardry, and renown are great but we are exhausted.

The glass lined holes are jars, I guess. I know that now. The scientists captured my men. The scientists lure the unwary to sleep in the jars. Then the Scientists do experiments on whoever ends up in the glass lined holes buried in the ground.  I escaped. I lost my men because I was tired, exhausted from ten years at sea. Not to mention, ten years in battle first.

Sitting here in Ithaca New York I feel bad about my team. All of them. I forget the names now but those were good times: we laughed, we conquered, and we wandered.

Now they are all dead, my guys. My fault I guess. I fell asleep in one of those jars and the scientists there did experiments on all of my men. Trapped there underground in those jars my men couldn't escape. Fate saved me to return here to Ithaca but my entire command is lost.

Lost, dead I hope, I think of Lieutenant Kentley, the Scientists put two other men's heads on his body. One head from the large sergeant is attached to Kentley's left arm and another from one of the sailors is attached to the middle of Kentley's back. Of course Kentley's original head is still intact.

Still I long for more adventure. Here in Ithaca New York, mowing the lawn, watching my son become ordinary and my wife age. I long for adventure. The vessel puffs the sails. I am looking for a new team. Just say the word I am ready.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment