adbright

Saturday, December 23, 2017

psychological study of christmas

psychological study of Christmas

fiction
edward w pritchard

Once I had the opportunity for several months as a college student to work at a children's hospital with badly burned children from age 6 months to 19 years old before I was fully mature as an adult myself. It was an experience that had a profound effect on my psyche. Eventually I couldn't do it anymore. I was the orderly. Low man on the status list but although I wan't qualified yet to be empathetic and sympathetic with children because of the realities of the business side of a hospital in those days I often found myself sitting in a rocking chair rocking a young scarred child and trying verbally to offer some solace to young children.

Surprising even though the nature of their injuries were severe often it seemed to me the most important thing in that child's life was having their Mother come and see them often. Of course children there at the hospital wanted Daddy too but remembering back unscientifically I remember most hospitalized children, not all who were burned,  I came in contact with wanted their Mother.

I can remember distinctly once sitting in a large creaky rocking chair rocking to sleep a young child just after the pain medicine the head nurse had administered was helping her to relax thinking what must her dreams be like this evening. I was working the over night shift at the time.

Those days there weren't many woman Doctors so primary care and comfort fell to the nurses then 98% female. Once I asked one of the very dignified and intelligent Chinese Doctors passing through the ward on rounds what I could do to help the children here. He looked off for a second sadly and said " give them a Popsicle". Which I did often until I couldn't do that job anymore. 

My next job was as a furniture mover on a two man truck. Carrying pianos and triple sized oak buffet cabinets up a ramp into a truck rain or shine. Then having a beer after work in a red neck bar while my boss flirted with a waitress or two. Back then, Once in a while, one of them waitresses would pinch my cheek or sit on my lap for a minute.

A little later I met a girl I couldn't keep my hands off of and ended up with four children with-out  thinking much about it or planning it.

Still to this day I often think what would it be like to be Santa Claus and bring toys and joy to all the world's children. Or what would it like to be a King or President and be responsible for the welfare of all the Children in your part of the World? If there was a Jesus, and if he know-ed all things before and after; what would it be like to believe that your death would "save" all the suffering children of the world forever.

If I were King I would help the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment