adbright

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Sultan's Favorite Son

The Sultan's Favorite Son

fiction
edward w pritchard

see "The Wandering Beggar who Impersonated Jesus" February blog for more on Turkey, and author's affection for Turkish History

My Father is the Sultan in Ottoman Turkey and I am one of his favorites. My Mother is pushing me to please my Father so I will be chosen from the 50 or so possible candidates to be the next sultan.

All well and good and I would enjoy the privilege and power that go with being Sultan. What stands between me and that privilege and power is trying to master the complexity of Turkish history. I am not complaining, but other than India or China, what Country could have such a complex and elaborate history as our Country of Turkey commutative to this year of 1905? Additionally I bet even India or China don't push young scholars as hard as my Country does.

I often dream of running away from the Amasya, which is where us young princes are sent to be educated. I know I am not alone in my dreams, for my fellow students often tell me that they also dream of warfare, being heroes, and following a strong leader if one would come along. For now however, I struggle to study with audacity and temerity to prepare myself for my Country's destiny.

Look more on this later- Ataturk [the Father of Turkey] visits the Amasya

No comments:

Post a Comment