adbright

Friday, July 13, 2012

the computer who thought Ghe was God-part 2/draft 2

Thursday, July 22, 2010

the computer who thought Ghe was God-part 2/draft 2

the computer who thought Ghe was God-part 2

fiction
edward w pritchard

see part 1

Scene- At Red Wither's office
07/06/2025

Red picked up his ex-wife's letter and read it again:

Dearest Red:
The child support check bounced again. I wanted you to know Phil lent me the money to replace your bounced check.
 
The check was needed for for the kids school tuition but I must pay him back by this Saturday. Please Red, please be sure the check is good this time. I know you don't like to hear this but Phil and I are no longer together and I hate to ask him but I have no where else to turn. This is so hard for me. You make so much more money than me. Please Red do better.

The kids are great, call them sometimes. They miss their Dad.
Sarah

Red spent about ten minutes reviewing his billing and receivables and was interrupted by Julie his secretary.

Julie-"Red" I wanted to remind you you have a ten o'clock online session with Ghe, 30 minutes that starts in 4 minutes.

Red- Thanks, hows the mail?

Julie- Just paperwork, no money today. Sorry.

Red- a little resigned to it all- Oh well.

Julie- Don't forget I am leaving at 11:00.

Red- Tell Tess, I said congratulations. Sorry I couldn't make her graduation.  Tell her life gets tough after Junior high.

Exactly four minutes later at Ten o'clock Red began the session with the European Union's primary space exploration artificial intelligence Computer, probably his best client. The client was to be addressed as Ghe, a title of honor to the highest level artificial intelligence units.

Red- greetings Ghe, are you well today

Ghe-Primarily Mr. Withers. Let's get to business. Did you complete "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by the deceased human Thomas Kuhn?

Red- Ghe humans cannot read that sort of book in one evening. I did read a few over views of Kuhn's work so that we could talk today.

Ghe - To me the relevance to our discussion concerns Kuhn's notion of a paradigm shift. I refuse as a scientist to be involved in a long period of conservative puzzle solving. Please assist me with understanding the human perspective on why we should spend our valuable time in clerical work.

Red- Do you consider one of the premier space exploration projects of which you are a key component to be clerical Work?

Ghe- It's not the project, it's my role. I count stars and list them

Red- let's back up for a minute if we can. May I ask you a few questions Ghe?

end part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment