adbright

Friday, July 13, 2012

Titanic; it was not so unusual to find a Bible in life boat number seven/ part 1

Titanic; it was not so unusual to find a Bible in life boat number seven/ part 1

fiction
edward w pritchard


So much work, so much work. Bruce Ismay President of White Star Shipping cupped his face in his hands and sang softly to himself, so much work, so much work, so much work.

Titanic would be launched in two months. Sitting at his desk, late afternoon, a pile of papers had to be done today.

Talking to himself and singing in secret was common. Bruce feared his bosses at JP Morgan in New York.  To get the work done Bruce would write, dictate and read all at once. The work piled up. Then he tried to work with incredible speed. But at some point his character would catch up with him and someone would be mad and Bruce would become upset. Then would come the outbursts from Bruce of intense impatience and irritation, always the irritation. Followed by lapses of judgment, and temper temper.

Still today Bruce set to work.. Staying focused Bruce tackled his fears. He put both letters directly in front of himself. He took the Gold fountain pen in his right hand. He would sign off the troubling two letters now.

Bruce reread the short letter from the lady in Ireland again.

Dear Mr. Ismay:

Since I was a little girl God has given me the gift of the spirit of prophecy as described in the bible in the book of Thessalonians. Currently I am thirty seven years old and live in Belfast, Ireland. I read about the coming first voyage of Titanic last week in our local news paper. Recently I had the opportunity to view the Titanic at our docks.

I have awoken the following two nights with a vision of one of the life boats of your ship the Titanic partially full of passengers floating in the Atlantic. As customary I mention my prophecy only if I feel it pertinent and only to who I feel are in a position to use the information constructively.

Sincerely,
Colleen Keegan

Without pausing to reflect Bruce took the second memo, from a company employee, unsigned, and read:

Mr. Ismay:

I feel I must protest limiting the number of life boats on Titanic to twenty, plus four collapsibles. I realize the space on deck is at a premium but I must note my disagreement not to have enough life boats for all passengers and crew should God forbid the need arise. I am a loyal company employee but must make my feeling known.

Bruce grabbed the both letters, quickly jotted down his initials on each and put them in the file for his assistant labeled internal file only, Titanic project.

Rising and stretching Bruce Ismay President of White Star Lines began to sing, so much work, so much work, so much work.
  • end part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment