adbright

Friday, September 4, 2015

dis-ambient, distant and deteriorating

dis-ambient, distant and deteriorating

fiction
edward w pritchard

Not once a chief or great warrior I walked sun-blind to the new Homeland, to distant Oklahoma broken of heart and spirit across the treacherous trail of Tears. Unaffiliated, distant and deteriorating I dared dream of uniting the vanished tribe anew in hostile terrain.

Vanished is my campfire, foreign is my tee-pee. Friend and Foe disappeared, memories forgotten and unfamiliar.

Where thunder the great herds of buffalo who owned the territory; where gone my companions who once shared the flickering fire?

Where gone my youth that once drove me to run East to West? Dis-spirited and dis-ambient I drop the seedlings from the sacred pouch onto the parched barren ground and begin to chant, chant, chant the tribal corn dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment