adbright

Monday, April 19, 2010

impressionism

impressionism

fiction
edward w pritchard

Aunt Jennie was the smartest person in our extended family, I think. She used to help me with my trigonometry when I was in high school and she was in College. She said she didn't like trig, and it wasn't her best subject, but she knew more about Trigonometry than either of the math teachers at our school.

Aunt Jennie is older now and she works for herself as an inventor. She worked five years at the Goodyear and then decided to go off on her own.

She gave me a lamp for my bedroom she invented. It's to display the paintings she gave me earlier. I like the paintings she gave me and she has a lot of similar works herself of the same style at her apartment. The paintings are impressionist paintings.

Impressionism is a French style of painting from the 19th century mostly in France. Cezanne, Monet and of course Van Gogh. My favorites are of the sunrises.

Aunt Jenny invented a light that would mimic the waning and setting sun and the effect that would have on the landscape of the earth. The artists when they painted in the impressionistic style would come back to the same spot at the same exact minute every day to paint a tree or cloud in one of their pictures to get the exact light they wanted to illuminate their picture. Sometimes it was about shadow and lack of light to the artists. I keep Aunt Jenny's lamp in my room and it illuminates the three impressionistic style paintings I have. I like to see how the pictures look with the different kinds of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment