adbright

Monday, September 13, 2010

chasing his helot-part 2

chasing his helot-part 2

fiction
edward w pritchard


see part 1

I never thought I would be using all my training in running to chase my Helot [slave] Lyn. I have been training myself to run, on top of the usual tortures and calisthenics we Spartan trainees must do. I have been training myself to run to catch a maiden, Hermione. She is twelve, a year old than me and her peplem [skirt] is always short and split in the back and I can't quit thinking of her. We have a saying in Sparta, if you can't outrun your bride [ girlfriend] not only will you never catch her but she won't respect you.

Alas I am not chasing Hermione, I am chasing Lyn my slave, He is my friend but my Father has ordered me to kill him. I have been running and running after him. Lyn taught me to walk, then taught me to hold a sword, then he coached me daily to survive my training to be a Spartan warrior, taken from home and family at age 7. Now I must kill him, I don't want to and in reality he is a brutal adversary. Only his honor kept him a slave, for he was a captured foe, and feels honor bound not to escape. If he would want to escape, during the last 11 years he watched over me he could have escaped a hundred times. Now if I catch him and he should want to he could easily kill me with his sword; although I am no slouch, mastering what he taught me, but Lyn is a master at warfare.

end part2

No comments:

Post a Comment