adbright

Saturday, September 4, 2010

racism and religion

racism and religion

fiction
edward w pritchard

I never liked religious white people as a boy. The men were always too pious, wavy black hair, blue eyes, smooth skin on their faces and sanctimonious. Being a boy, white myself, drug to church by my Father, and out spoken, I was constantly in trouble for my racism and opinions with my Dad.

Later I came to appreciate the religious women. Mostly for carnal reasons liking how they looked, dressed and their manner.

Later still I came to realize that my disapproval was an objection against the old testament message crammed into us maladroitly and inaccurately at a Baptist church.

The gospel of St Mathew is to me one of the finest pieces in Western literature. Revelation of St John is intriguing. Instead the message was always over analyzed by our teachers and my interpretations dashed.

The message sells itself. Let the pilgrim come to the old testament in their own time. St Mathew and St Luke for children and revelation for teenagers. Proverbs and Ecclesiastes for young adults. Psalms as needed. Gospel music as per your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment