adbright

Sunday, September 12, 2010

chasing his helot

chasing his helot

fiction
edward w pritchard

A Spartan Father couldn't enjoy peace and quiet and wouldn't let anyone else either.
Kit's Father was more strict then normal toward his 11 year old Son because he fretted Kit didn't fit the mold required of young men of Sparta, here in Greece in 489bc.

Yes, I am Kit and my Father has ordered me to kill my friend Lyn, my slave technically, although we call them helots, unfortunates kept and made poor by our system. I am well trained to kill since age six; I have been tortured and starved to teach me to be manly. It hasn't worked all too well; for I am reluctant to kill my friend even though duty bound to find, pursue and kill him.
end part 1

opening sentence thanks to un-named and forgotten Corinthian delegate to Sparta-circa 420BC [ he was speaking of Athens but the points the same]

No comments:

Post a Comment