adbright

Sunday, July 31, 2011

My war against the Zoot Suits-part 3-draft

My war against the Zoot Suits-part 3-draft

fiction
edward w pritchard

It's been a long time since I wore a suit to work. The classic 1950's men's business suit is now de rigeur for us teachers and substitute teachers here at Goodyear High School. We are at war with some of our students; they wear zoot suits we wear business suits. Students look like Cab Calloway and teachers look like the classic 1950's organization man.

I have a meeting after school with Marcus Williams. Marcus is the leader of the students who call themselves Pachacos. Marcus was that first student cruising the cafeteria that I saw talking to the seventh grade female student that initiated the Zoot war.  I am trying to prepare for our meeting but I am having trouble concentrating. Marcus is very astute and I must prepare properly; he is not really a kid, he's twenty or so and under normal circumstances would be in College.

I can't concentrate because of Miss Jennings the math teacher in my hall here. Apparently she likes older men in business suits. I am way too old for her but when I first saw her in that navy blue skirt I lost focus on teaching and I have been obsessing on her. To support us men teacher's in our war with the student Zoot suit wearers; some of the female teachers have started wearing very tight long skirts. Most don't look as good as Miss Jennings, who teaches two doors down the hall from me. She stands outside her door between classes and I watch her a lot.

I have to prepare for my meeting with Marcus Williams the leader of the zoots. Best try not to think of Miss Jennings. She's too young for me really.

end part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment