adbright

Sunday, July 31, 2011

My war against the Zoot Suits-part 4-draft

My war against the Zoot Suits-part 4-draft

fiction
edward w pritchard

I saw one of my former students today. Marcus Williams. He works down in the County Recorders office. He is assistant manager of tax receipts. I told him he always was very bright.

He and I had a good laugh about the Zoot Suit War that seemed so important back then. I am just about seventy now and Marcus is over thirty. Both too old for warriors.

Marcus showed me some pictures. He has a daughter seven. She is a beautiful little girl. He married Zelda the girl I had tried to keep him away from back in the cafeteria that first year I taught at Goodyear High School. She was the unofficial cause of My war against the Zoot suits back then. Marcus had a picture of me in a suit, him in a zoot suit and Miss Jennings the Math teacher in her navy blue skirt. It's been a long time since I thought of Miss Jennings the math teacher.

I needed some concessions on paying my property tax this quarter. Actually I needed to make only a partial payment. Budget problems in my household. Marcus took good care of me. He always was one of my favorite students.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment