adbright

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

part of the team

part of the team

fiction
edward w pritchard

The subway rumbled deep beneath where I worked. I do wiring and electronics. Today I am installing a "trigger" here in one of America's major Cities that will initiate an explosion that if all goes as planned will disable the subway now rumbling far beneath the street where I am working.

I am not a terrorist or an anarchist. This is just a job for me; necessary to pay the bills. A dozen others are doing similar assignments around the city. Each is just a cog in a larger machine. I have never met my fellow anarchists; and maybe they are like me, just doing a job for money.

I must work carefully now for this is the dangerous part of the assignment. One bump and the trigger detonates early. At the same time I must looked bored and relaxed; so as to not arouse attention. My truck is near and I am disguised as a cable repair guy. No one takes interest, I am just an invisible minion who keeps the infrastructure working for the dwellers here in this City.

I work alone and that's how I like it. Still it's good to be part of a team. It gives me satisfaction to know I am working on something bigger than myself.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment