adbright

Sunday, February 2, 2014

another clerk at the convenience clerk/ part 2

another clerk at the convenience store/ part 2

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

Like many a woman I got my job at Caterpillar because of my looks. It's not what you think. I got my job as receptionist at the Caterpillar testing grounds because I am not pretty to look at. My boss Sharon Owens told me during interview she would not have another receptionist she trained and nurtured leave the company to get married to one of the handsome salesmen that came from all over the world to bid orders for industrial equipment to the purchasing staff engineering division large equipment earth moving White Oaks, Indiana complex.

My boss at the convenience store referred me to Caterpillar. Medari was about to lay off one of his staff and although I was his best worker it was me or his secret girlfriend from his wife Sally so I had to go. It was a lot more money to me and I was glad to get out of convenience store work.

Surprisingly I do very well as a receptionist for the purchasing staff. Everyone one is very busy and there is a lot of money involved for our suppliers who can win a large order from us so the salesmen who come here to bid the jobs are very aggressive. They will try anything to win an order. I enjoy being the go between between the purchasing engineers and the outside salesmen for our suppliers.

I handle myself well on the phone and I have a good memory for detail. Our engineering purchasing group have taken to calling me Mom; that's a misnomer, I doubt that I will ever get married or have children. I have never been on a date.

Still despite not being on dates I get a lot of male attention. These supplier salesmen who come here to bid orders are pretty boys extraordinaire. We get a lot of ex college athletes who think they can charm their way through life on a smile and a shoeshine. That's how my boss here Sharon Owens described the salesmen I work with when she interviewed me. It's from a famous play, smile and a shoeshine, Sally said.

When I arrive for work in the morning there will be two or three salesmen waiting in their fancy cars to be first to get into our lobby area. They want to be first to see our purchasing group even though we only see salesmen if they have an appointment and at pre-set times. They bring me Starbucks coffee or fancy pastry or a fashion magazine to read to keep on my good side. The salesmen coming in always remember my name and they joke a lot with me and after the second visit to our complex they will ask me if my Mother is feeling better or if I have decided to start college on my two year business degree and things like that.

Did I mention how good looking these salesmen are? They are always tall and slim when they are young and wear expensive suits to work. I like it when they wear colored shirts with their suits with French cuffs and Italian shoes. They always smell nice and even though I know they are trying to con me just to get in the door here I enjoy the attention. Sometimes one of the salesmen who is a secretly a little disorganized will stand real close to my desk and I will straighten their tie or help level the shoulders on their suits before their presentations. I like how they smell.

Very seldom will a woman salesman represent one of our suppliers. They are insincere from the other salesmen we see here in a different way. Still I always do what I can to help the women sales persons.  I know it is hard for women in business so I help them when I can.

Sometimes one of the outside salesmen will offer me a bribe. I just won't go there.

So far I have done two reviews here at work and I have received two substantial raises. All in all I think I have done well in my new job as a receptionist and it sure beats being a clerk in a convenience store. In addition I like the fringe benefits that come with this position.
end part 2





No comments:

Post a Comment