adbright

Monday, February 3, 2014

Was it a proverb or an aphorism?

Was it a proverb or an aphorism

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

Was it a proverb or an aphorism? When I woke up in church without my shirt on?

I tried to cover up with my hymnal. Go to my locker and bring me back something to wear, please.

The congregation filed in and it was nearly time for service. The choir was shuffling about and a last few stragglers were pushing to their seats with small rapid two steps, left, right, left, excuse me, sorry.

How did I get here? With the itch of wisdom to understand waking up in church without a shirt on.

I hate to be distracted when the sermon starts. I won't listen anyway. It's a high ceiling, candles burn blue, and the little niche's dedicated to the Saints are interesting. I could sit there.

Sit still eyes forward. Time for liturgical comment. The congregation needs to be still.

Jump,  jump run from pew to pew stepping only on the backs of the chairs without stepping on anyone's hands.

Sitting in church without your shirt on.

No comments:

Post a Comment