adbright

Monday, February 10, 2014

my plan is to do a little sight seeing here at home until the stock and bond markets settle down

my plan is to do a little sightseeing here at home until the stock and bond markets settle down

fiction
Edward w Pritchard



My plan is to do a little sightseeing here at home until the stock and bond markets settle down and the PE ratios return to a more normal level.

All these mobile apps and ghost in the machine companies like Google, Facebook, Pandora, Twitter and LinkedIn have got me nervous. Does anyone do any actual business anymore?

When was the last time you met a farmer? There are loads and loads of over sized trucks on the road nowadays but employment in construction has plummeted. It's the same thing with horses; there are a lot of cowboy hats and shirts around but no one rides a horse into town anymore.

I am confused by the new economy here in America. Folks text each other over and over but they don't seem to have much to say at least when I hear them talking about their ordinary lives. These ghost in the machine new age companies spend millions to capture the eyeballs and ears of viewers and listeners but no one much is working, at least full time and no one much has any real discretionary income if you back out what they spend at restaurants, lottery and expensive overpriced designer beers, and premium gas for their monster trucks.

All these technology Internet providers are mining the same groups of customers who are struggling to make it in the economy of modern America because secure full time jobs and careers are difficult to find and it's axiomatic the ordinary people will have ordinary lives. At some point the details of our routine mundane lives do not justify being breaking news on social media. Also we really don't have to worry much about identity theft.

Me, I react to the drop in earnings, spending, and net worth in my life caused by drastic changes in the American economy by using brick and mortar companies rather than Amazon, not buying on line groceries or not posting what I will do day to day on Facebook or twitter.

If anyone is interested today I will go the goodwill for used books and the dollar store for a few supplies. I don't have a monster truck but I might wear a recycled cowboy shirt. I definitely won't post the details of my boring every day life on social media. About twice a month I go to the local community bank on business. That's another thing that confuses me about the modern American economy, how can Finance be 70% of the economy? It might be a sweeping statement for me to say that the finance sector is 70% of the economy, but I read it on a chat board.

How do all these new age businesses justify such large PE ratios and bloated market caps? Me, I won't be buying any of their stocks for now. My plan is to do a little sightseeing here at home until the stock and bond markets settle down and the PE ratios return to a more normal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment