adbright

Monday, July 14, 2014

welfare in America circa 2060

welfare in America circa 2060

fiction
Edward w Pritchard


Circumstance dictated his choices. I remember studying that in middle school about some General's actions in the wars with the machines.

Because of circumstance I have decided to spend my two week vacation this year at the Cleveland clinic medical complex earning credits toward paying down my student loans by attending the Government subsidized medical lectures and exhibits at the sprawling Cleveland medical Mall located between Ohio and Canada out over and under Lake Erie.

First I have to get there and my train trip is totally free. It's not a rapid of course or first class but it's pleasant here in the coach and lots of the Doctors and pretty technicians travel to work at the clinic in coach to save credits and they all smile and nod at me perhaps thinking me a patient. Medical patients are appreciated at the Cleveland clinic medical complex. Patients pay the freight to keep the economy going as the slogan says.

I am going all in to earn credits myself so I use the hand held to select videos to watch on the TV monitors as we ride through the endless cardiac wings. You get extra credits if you choose your own videos rather than letting the intelligent programs pick for you after scanning your DNA for future medical problems using profiling technology. To earn even extra credits I am completing all the surveys at the end of each video. Yes, I would use aspirin manufactured at space station Alexandria 379, no I would never have a second alcohol while operating levitating equipment. I am not joking about earning maximum credits; according to what I read it's possible to pay off all of one's student debt by spending 9 years vacation time visiting Medical orientations.

I hate to say it but all these cardiac physicians all look the same. I am not talking about the robotic Doctors, I mean the humans. 5 feet 8 and no fat on their frame but they look a little uptight to me. They lose a lot of credits if they drop {kill} a patient for whatever reason and they all look a little glum with life to me. They work long hours and the walls in all the cardiac areas are blue, blue is soothing to patients but God awful for the Doctors and technicians to work in all day I suppose. I like the other halves { female} [1] technicians uniforms with the open backs.

I am already tired of watching videos. Most of them are for diet, diet, diet. How to lose that last two pounds by eating kelp filled M and M candy and things like that. Tonight after I settle in at my hotel room, free also, I have three lectures to attend. You and eczema, appreciate your pancreas and something about synthetic viruses.

Don't care what people say about America becoming a medical welfare State. I am going to stick with my nine year program and pay off my student debts by using my vacation time wisely. Two thousand fifteen minute informative medical lectures and I will be student debt free. You have to carry your own luggage into the Hotel to get the exercise credit so I packed light this year. I am going to tip the robotic bellboys even though I carry my own bags. Mustn't start off on the wrong foot with the hotel staff.
end
part 1

1. " Discover magazine does not condone sexist language, author was writing in a less enlightened time. We are sorry to include reference to gender but felt it was in keeping with author's persona." Editors

No comments:

Post a Comment