adbright

Monday, April 15, 2019

like the ancients

like the ancients

fiction
edward  w pritchard

Like the ancients sometimes the only time I  know I am completely alive is when I must leave my shelter at 2 AM and as I move about surreptitiously I observe the night sky.

Is it Jupiter or Saturn low in the southern sky. Perhaps the ancient ones would know from familiarity better than I which planet it is low in the sky at 2 AM in spite of people now having acquired scientific knowledge of the universe.

The night sky is familiar and comforting to me. More so than any companion or Deity. Certainly I feel many hundreds of generations passing this comfort down to me.

The air about me is crisp and clean at 2 AM and the sky is open and honest; uncluttered by human duplicity the universe is revealed to me East to West rotating across the night sky in small manageable pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment