adbright

Friday, April 5, 2019

you can't move freely along the coast any more

you can't move freely along the coast anymore

fiction
edward w pritchard

These coastal towns were originally owned by the Indians
until the Pilgrims and puritans killed them all with King Phillips War
now the roads between the towns have drifted over with sand dunes
driven by the winds and waves
and I can't see our daughter Sheely anymore
because she and her Mother live permanently with her Grand Mother in the Hilton hotel
over near Rockport, Massachusetts
two years ago on Sheely's seventh birthday
I got so drunk after work Friday night
I tried to walk along the beach clear to Rockport barefoot
throwing empty beer bottles at the gulls
the rich called the Sheriff
and the deputy called Sheriff Johnson
my old peewee football coach when they saw it was me
and coach took me to his house and let me sleep it off on the screened in porch
and his wife brought me Indian blankets and some lemonade
while Coach's grand daughter played the piano till midnight


No comments:

Post a Comment