adbright

Friday, May 13, 2011

who dat, good night Irene-9th ward piano blues

who dat, good night Irene-9th ward piano blues

fiction
edward w pritchard

Irene, I live here in the city,
but Irene it would be a nightmare if I found that you had drowned
still sometimes I am sorry i ever seen your face
maybe your Mother was right that you were too young to marry at 18
you broke my heart
but when you come by I don't need no one else around
i am still happy a little you know
so I dream of living off in the country
sitting by the fireside bright
stopping the gambling
but if you turn your back on me
I'll dream of how i wished you should have been
and stay with Morphius until I die,
 trying to stay out of Angola Prison
and listen for piano blues floating from the country to the city on the East wind

No comments:

Post a Comment