adbright

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

grandma is my waitress today

grandma is my waitress today

fiction
edward w pritchard

this is a work of fantasy, story has no meaning

Grandma is my waitress today for dinner at the fish restaurant where I often stop. Not Grandma as she is now, which is actually dead the last thirty years but as my Grandma was when she was seventeen. I heard my waitress talking to the cook while I waited for my food about her one year old daughter Eloise, and that, Elosie being my Mother's name as a girl, and the fact that  the waitress looked exactly like my sister and a lot like me and my Mother brought me to the realization that impossible as it might be my waitress was actually my Grandma as she was as a seventeen year old girl. A seventeen year old girl who had quit school and had to work because she had had a daughter Eloise out of wedlock.

What I didn't like about the situation was how my grandma flirted and wagged at my two friends as she took our order and brought our food and drinks. Grandma gave me a funny look when she noticed I took offense to how she had to act to earn her living as a waitress when my Mother was baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment