adbright

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Drifting through space/ addendum to part 1/draft 1

Drifting through space addendum to part 1/draft 1

fiction
edward w pritchard

see November 09, 2011 for more of the Doreen drifting through space stories- 1-5, see part 1 below

After Preston left me back on earth I wandered through life invisible for four years before I was accepted into the space program. No woman wanted to be the first woman to travel in space until she died, to never to return to earth. In the whole world I was the only qualified woman to agree to go.

I was so lonely, an Automaton. I walked through the cold landscape of my hometown invisible to the other happy people going about the things contented adjusted people do. After four years I had vanished. Then the space program picked me to go to the Kuiper Belts.

When it was time to really go I finally decided that I would just pretend that I had died when Preston told me he wanted to be with Elizabeth.

As I drift through space it's small comfort to me to think Elizabeth must be over eighty years old back on earth, Time passes slower in a space craft. I don't understand why. It's been explained to me but I am no scientist. I am just a lonely woman who drifts towards the Kuiper belts and is going to sentence the next ten generations of my daughters to do the same. What will they think of me? My daughters will never really fall in Love and will never see a sunset, swim in a Lake  or, hear a live orchestra play, what have I done.

Here's something the writer who created me wrote for me before; the writer calls me he but it's me in the story below, me who is confused about direction in space, me Dora the first.


end part 1 addendum draft 1- to be continued

Monday, October 4, 2010


space ship ride

space ship ride

fiction
edward w pritchard

Subject eventually cracked up because he claimed there was no direction in space and he wanted to go west not east.

He kept writing in the space logs that he remembered when there were only six hundred humans left. That would be 35,000 BC according to him.

The directive, according to him, agreed by all was that all humans, the last six hundred survivors of the race must travel east for so many miles and then north or south, but after going North or South at their discretion, then they must travel west. That was the directive and all the remaining six hundred original humans had agreed to it. To ensure proper dispersion of the remaining humans.

Subject was an American traveling in Space for the rest of his life. He trained and agreed to the lonely journey, for Science, for the benefit of his Country. Now he has abandoned his principals and cost our countries space program a lot of time and money. He claimed he was having dreams about his ancestors and the original directive.

Subject can not be reasoned with. He claims he must determine if direction exists in Space so he can reorient himself and fulfill the original directive.
end








drifting through space, part 1 Doreen 1

I am Doreen the first, the famous original space explorer. The first woman to give up her life for science to travel the rest of my days through space. I left everything I had and knew on earth to travel the rest of my life alone in this small space ship. To the Kuiper belts I go. It sounded exciting at first. To find the origins of our species. Somewhere in the rocks out there at the far edge of our Solar systems was the ultimate answer to how life started originally on earth.

I am a farce. I just wanted to escape my life in Middleton Iowa. The personal life is dead for me. It worked. Preston abandoned me for another woman and I couldn't get over it. I volunteered to spend the rest of my life traveling in a small spaceship. My sin, I sentenced ten of my descendants, starting with my daughter to be, her to be conceived artificially and then nine generations of grand and great -daughters doing same.

Why am I telling this. Now they want to know if for my mate I want Preston. Apparently his DNA is on board. That bastard. He wouldn't take my-calls at home before I left. He's a lot older than me now. I am getting younger compared to him because of space/time changes caused by space travel. It's not much but it adds up. The main reason our space ships travel so so slow through space is because of space/time changes. We just drift along really. Best not think of Preston again. I have experiments to do and then I have to do my exercises before dinner. I wonder if Space command center Houston would let me talk with Preston just once. I am confused by a few things he said a long time ago. Maybe Houston would OK me talking with Preston if I said I needed to be courted before the insemination. Preston could be charming.. It would be nice to talk about something besides space travel with someone.

end part 1- dora 1

No comments:

Post a Comment