adbright

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Let the girls go/part 1

Let the girls go/part 1

fiction
edward w pritchard

Just eleven years old, and a bit of a runt, my good friend Collins screamed, " Let the girls go". Filled with wrath Collins charged Juston. Walking out of the town movie theater with my oldest sister Adiana and two of the other prettiest girls in town; Juston flung Collins hard across the cement parking lot. I watched Collins skid and roll; I should have been looking at my sister's face to gleam her motivation, how she felt about her boyfriend Juston bullying little Collins Murphy.

With thirty two years of life and living behind me since Collins rolled in that parking lot, I have to decide what to say now to my sister Adiana now about her husband Juston, General Manager at Watkins Motors the Ford and Toyota Dealership. Collins was killed in Vietnam in 1971, I didn't go to the funeral.

I always knew my sister would end up unhappy. There is something tragic about her, not tragic in a Greek way, but tragic like a woman living in Salem, Ohio married to a guy who was a bully as a kid who now sells cars. Juston is in a lot of Civic groups and coaches baseball, boys and girls teams. Once a year Juston asks me golfing. If I try not to go golfing, my sister Adiana calls and bosses me to go out of tradition.

I met Adiana over at the park and rebounded the basketball while she shot. My sister, Adiana was on the girls team for two years in College. She has put on a lot of weight since college and wants to go on a strict diet says my sister. Adiana is telling me about my brother in law Juston. I throw Adiana a perfect one bounce pass each time. A lot of the problem between my Sister and her husband Juston is about their daughter Toni. Adiana has trouble standing up for Toni. Juston is so full of himself, he only sees the world in his own interest my sister says.

Juston works hard, he works a lot of hours for Mr. Watkins. They still can't afford anyone to help with Toni.  It's great when I come over on Saturday nights and sit with Toni says my sister. I have a way with her, says my sister; No one else can help with Toni, that's just how it is.

I'll have to talk with Juston. With Mom gone I am all that Adiana has.  Adiana sat on the cement bench and cried a while while I shot baskets after she finished telling me about my niece Toni and Juston my brother in law.

end part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment