adbright

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

a rifle, eight silver dollars and a brisk walk/ part 4

a rifle, eight silver dollars and a brisk walk/ part 4

fiction
edward w Pritchard

see parts 1-3 previous posts for background

To Dr. Kelli Watkens
c/o Cleveland Clinic
Heart Center

Dr. Watkins:

I am an antique dealer in Cario, Ohio and recently saw your request for information on Moseby Whitsell of New Guinea, Ohio.

I have information that may be of interest to you. I am now retired and my family is not interested in carrying on my passion of collecting old letters and cards so I am going to give you these two letters as a gift. I believe if you find Mr. Whitsell  is your relative you can be proud of him as one of the first Black men in this part of Ohio to fight in the Civil war, even if not in an official capacity.

sincerely
Eva Harter
Cario, Ohio
September, 2013


DOCUMENT 1

Dear Mose:

I suffered for three long days and nights thinking you had been killed by the confederates going to fight them in Lisbon, Ohio in July of 1863. It didn't take much military thinking to imagine whose
black face those Confederate boys would shoot at when the attack started.

All the times I worried and fretted about you dieing I was mad as the devil at you too. What do you mean telling me you enjoyed the food and cooking made by the white ladies of Salem, Ohio while I was home here worrying over you and taking care of your daughter?

Well now that you are coming home safe, be prepared for the best meal you have ever had. I have a special dinner for you planned the night you return.

your wife
Lucinda Whitsell
X
signed by her mark
letter dictated by Lucinda Whitsell
written by
Mrs. Betsy Haines
friend of family


Document 2

Lucinda,

Thank-you dear wife that was the best meal I ever had. You went to way to much trouble fussing over me a soldier who never fired a shot and was away from home only three days. The whole time I was gone I could think of nothing but you and our daughter. I told my friends last night the pasta you cooked, the cigar you gave me, and the Irish whiskey you poured me were the best any colored soldier ever has had.

One more thing though. I have to criticize you for spending two dollars on imported pasta noodles. No unemployed colored man has a right to eat noodles imported from Italy. I don't expect that the American government will be in any more of a hurry to hire black soldiers even after the contribution of colored troops at Fort Wagner, South Carolina. So I don't expect to be hired as a soldier although I would be proud to serve. I will try again to get on with the railroad. I hope my experience on the Ohio Canal will help me. I for one don't think that Mr. Lincoln freeing all the slaves or not will make it any easier for us to find work at a decent rate of pay. Rest assured though Lucinda, I will properly care for our family.
Moseby
end

No comments:

Post a Comment