adbright

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Routine drive home disrupted by a fall

Routine drive home disrupted by a fall

fiction
edward w pritchard

Sometimes the stories write themselves, skip if you might find this a little disturbing.


Stopped at a stop sign, looking dead ahead five hundred yards away at the construction project I was, where some workmen were rebuilding a school they were, a government recession buster program we ordained; my routine drive home was disrupted by a fall it was.

I saw him, too close to the edge he was, four stories up on a metal roof, walking confidently forward to toss something aggressively over the side. I didn't hear the young man hit the ground but before he fell I swear I saw his eyes, although my vision is bad and although I didn't hear him hit the earth I distinctly felt and still feel the vibrations of the thud high up in my shoulders blades of my back. His day that day was definitely disrupted by a fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment