adbright

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Syria and the US military industrial complex

Syria and the US military industrial complex

fiction
edward w pritchard

I have always been a bit paranoid.

I just read we are concerned about the historical and archaeological treasures of another Country far away from the United States being destroyed. The Country is Syria. Sadly Syria is the latest place we are about to bomb for strategic reasons.

I get a bit paranoid and suspicious about our Country having  a military  industrial complex when I hear the argument raised that the United States should intervene in Syria's civil war to among other things protect world heritage quality art treasures. It is implied in the article I read that the United States should intervene in Syria to save civilization.

 As a lover of history and the art of the past the destruction of historic articles is appalling to me. I learned about the ancient city Damascus as a boy at Church and it has always been one of my favorite places. Although I have never been there; I have always wanted to visit Syria as a tourist.

I am suspicious when I read allegations about artifacts being destroyed by our latest enemies. I remember I read the same type articles about the destruction of historical objects in Iraq a few years ago when we were considering invading Iraq and were fighting  terrorists there in Iraq to protect ourselves here in our homeland.

Now in my old age if I read in our newspapers about historical artifacts being destroyed in some far away Country, or other sensational stories about helpless women being abused by our enemies, or hear of children being sent to refugee camps and not being properly educated; I take pause.

Am I just being paranoid and suspicious or have I learned that there is an American military industrial complex and it uses timely propaganda to perpetuate itself in an endless series of overseas interventions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment