adbright

Thursday, September 26, 2013

four days in Manhattan/ draft 1/ part 2

four days in Manhattan/ draft 1/ part 2

see part one for continuity 

fiction
edward w Pritchard

Travel is very broadening they say and because of my extensive traveling recently I have updated my philosophy about artificial intelligence units since having first seen the article that the writer guy ed pritchard wrote about my four day leave in Manhattan. In the first story pritchard wrote I was telling how after I finished basic training for the Navy I encountered a service robot at an Amish restaurant as my waitress who was exactly like a series four robotic sergeant I had just had in basic training. Of course their persona's were totally different but both were the same model of robot, looked similar and despite doing different jobs were unmistakably the same.   

About six years after that incident I was a salesman always on the road going from place to place. One night I was on the road in Toledo Ohio and I stopped at one of those artificial intelligence transvestite clubs. They had series six artificial intelligence robotic units dressed as women singing torch songs to a room full of drunks of which I was one.

The first singer was a robot doing an impersonation of the old singer Pink. I don't know, it didn't quite work. The artificial intelligence unit had pink hair and strutted around a lot but it wasn't all that interesting to me although I enjoyed the style of the original singer Pink.

The main act was the best.  The six foot seven inch robot unit impersonated Linda Rondstat and sang "Desperado". The robot had Rondstat's voice down to a T. What amazed me were the head flips, and the nuances of the eyes and lips, just like the singer Linda Rondstat when she was 25 years old, half a century ago.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say and a torch singer never ages when her songs are covered by robotic artificial intelligence units in a smoky bar far off the beaten path in a place like Toledo Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment