adbright

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

delta blues 1933

delta blues 1933

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

Saturday night. I got my new black hat and got me a white suede jacket with tight straight leg black pants. I'm ruining my Edwin clap brown boots though in this delta mud. Instead of being at uptown dance with Piney Walter here I walk behind the farm mule plowing Mississippi mud. I plow when I need to think. The mule he don't say much but he is good company tonight. We walk and work together sometimes like this but not usually on my Saturday night off work in my best clothes.

I'll not go to that dance. Lorraine Turnbo will be there with Big Winston Brown. I told her how I feel about him. She wants us both. Someone will die tonight if I see Winston with Lorraine.

It's not fair to our mule to make him work on his night off. I'll take the 44 caliber rifle that my brother keeps over the fireplace and head on uptown. I have something I want to say to Lorraine tonight.

First I better get me a drink or two at bog hill tavern. I'll listen to piano to cool me off. Someone is gonna die tonight, maybe me.

Music is good here in Mississippi. No one plays piano like a Mississippi man. Time for me to head on uptown. Things will be changed come morning. It's good to have new clothes to wear uptown.

Maybe I should have said goodbye to our mule. If I get the chance I'll ask Piney to say goodbye to our mule for me; in case, you know, just in case.

Have you ever loved a woman?

No comments:

Post a Comment